In Search of Wildness

An English teacher's Alaskan sojourn
Funded in part by a William C. Friday Foundation Fellowship Grant

My Photo
Name:
Location: Juneau, Alaska

From mid-June through late July 2006, I posted my thoughts and photos to this blog in journal fashion. Unlike Chris McCandless, though, I welcomed the opportunity to engage in dialogue across thousands of miles. While blogging from the edge of the Tongas subarctic rainforest in Alaska, I encouraged readers to drop me a line using the comment function. Mail from home is always welcome, and I relished messages from family, friends, students, colleagues, and total strangers.

I traveled to Alaska to further understand and experience nature without human influence. I read literature about the wild as I explored nature in a purer form than we normally can. Alaska, despite its development has not been tamed. In such an environment, we can learn a lot about nature, ourselves, and our society. We all share a common root in the wild and a common future relationship with the natural world as we together choose to sustain it.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Beauty of the Dark Side

Reading Gary Snyder's "Decomposed" in The Practice of the Wild, I come across the line: "the dark side of nature--the ball of crunched bones in scat, the feathers in the snow, the tales of insatiable apetite" (118). The feathers on the concrete path here on campus come to mind. I've never seen anything quite like the two-foot-wide scatter pattern of feathers. Having lived in suburban areas my whole life, I'm used to seeing carcasses on pavement. The sight isn't pleasant, but it's familiar.

The feathers on the concrete path would shelter a naked bird, but the body has left them behind. Some animal sat on the path one night, stripped its prey of her clothing and stole off with the body. I shudder at the thought of being denuded and carried off by an unknown predator. In the context of wilderness, though, the feathers on the concrete represent an appropriate cycle. They are a sign that everything will be alright. I mourn the loss of the bird; I'm glad the bear had a nice meal. I thank him for not leaving the carcass behind after the kill.

*Gary Snyder, The Practice of the Wild, San Francisco: North Point, 1990.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home