In Search of Wildness

An English teacher's Alaskan sojourn
Funded in part by a William C. Friday Foundation Fellowship Grant

My Photo
Name:
Location: Juneau, Alaska

From mid-June through late July 2006, I posted my thoughts and photos to this blog in journal fashion. Unlike Chris McCandless, though, I welcomed the opportunity to engage in dialogue across thousands of miles. While blogging from the edge of the Tongas subarctic rainforest in Alaska, I encouraged readers to drop me a line using the comment function. Mail from home is always welcome, and I relished messages from family, friends, students, colleagues, and total strangers.

I traveled to Alaska to further understand and experience nature without human influence. I read literature about the wild as I explored nature in a purer form than we normally can. Alaska, despite its development has not been tamed. In such an environment, we can learn a lot about nature, ourselves, and our society. We all share a common root in the wild and a common future relationship with the natural world as we together choose to sustain it.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Photo-Journal Blog

For ease, I've created a parallel blog to which I'll post photos throughout the summer. I'll create links to specific photos within my writings, but they may be viewed together at my Juneau, Alaska Photo-Blog (http://juneau-photos.blogspot.com/).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home